Monday, January 23, 2012

Getting back on track

If Saturday was the "pilot" of the season, today was the first episode. I did about 45min of weights before lacing up my shoes to hit the pavement. Some people say you should do cardio first, weights second. I say, running at 5am on my own is dark and scary. I prefer to go out when the roads are filled with other morning exercisers and I can see the ground beneath my feet. Hence, weights first. I only have so much time in a morning, after all.
My initial intention was a quick 5k loop around the hospital. But I had a bit of time...I thought a 6k out and back would work well instead. But then, I was going downhill. Why not reach the bottom before turning back around and heading up? So I went 7k total in the end. And I hit the hill twice. Go me! Slow? Check! Stiff? Check! Exhausted? Check! Happy I did it? Triple check!

Distance: 7.01km
Elevation: 102m
Total time: 46.02
Pace: 6.39

Yes, a *small* improvement. Keep in mind my pb in an 8k (that I've timed) was 42.25min...but on a flat course. Still, this is a lot slower! I did have to walk once, because some idiot left their dog out and it started to chase me. Running past a territorial dog is not smart. So I stopped, cowed it with my snarl, and started running again once it lost interest in me.
Someone asked me about elevation. No, this is not the total elevation gained/lost. Obviously, since I finish where I start there is downhill involved. But I never count that in elevation because going downhill is an easy break and adds nothing to fitness. All elevation is uphill only. Because uphill hurts. But a good hurt, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment