Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Return to Brisbane

I was reminded today that I haven't been keeping up with my running blog faithfully these past few weeks. I've done a few haphazard runs, but these deteriorated quickly as life craziness built up around me.
Well, today was my first time back with the training group. Hoo boy! I was nervous! Tuesdays are speed sessions, which mostly consists of fartleks. The one thing I've always liked about fartleks is they're short. Except today felt really long. I guess because while I knew the reps, I didn't know the number of sets to expect, so I couldn't mentally coach myself through this.
The reps were as follows (for rep/recovery)
90-30
60-30
45-30
30-30
15-30

We repeated this three times around a 300m circuit. Apparently variations of the fartlek have become a Tuesday morning special ever since the training weekend. The run was actually lots of fun, even if my legs felt like jello on the 1k cool down jog (aka stagger) back to the car.
But all this paled in comparison to the joy of being back where I belong. Running with friends! There are few greater things than this. As one girl pointed out, I slipped back in as if I'd never left. It was fantastic that the group still held so many familiar faces. Okay, we couldn't talk so much during the reps, but there was plenty of chances in between all that.
It's good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment