Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Time for a Vacation

Ahh, Tuesday morning reps. My running schedule this year is all over the place, but I love my Tuesday speed session. If nothing else, it keeps me honest. Especially when I'm always having to write down my times!
Today we did 500m reps with 500m recovery. I love 500m reps. Anything less than 1k is pretty exciting for me.
My goal time was a 4.38 pace, translating to a 2.19min rep. I went out on the first one with the plan of going at a hard pace but not my hardest - my aim was consistency over speed today. We had 7 reps and I knew that if I went my hardest I wouldn't be able to keep the same pace. My split times were as follows:
2.12 / 2.13 / 2.14 / 2.12 / 2.17 / 2.15
A little too much variation for my liking. Just shows I should have slowed the first one down by a bit and kept to that time. But I did focus on my form a little bit. And maybe it's just me...but I think my form is improving a little bit.
I was tired at the end of the session (too much junk food eating has made me much more sluggish this week!). It wasn't long before I realized I'd fallen behind the group, so I picked it up a bit and chatted with one of the girls on the way back. I cut short a corner through the long grass and...


Yep. I hit a hidden stump and over I went. The grass was slick from morning dew and it felt a bit like one of those slip & slides I played on as a kid. Fortunately, I stopped just short of the solid rocky trail. I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and finished the last few hundred metres. I noticed a few grass burns and as the morning is progressing my knee is getting a little stiff, but overall, no harm done. Score!
In over 4 years of running I've had such a clean record when it comes to clumsiness. And now I've fallen twice in just over a week! It can only mean one thing... time for a vacation!
Good thing I'm going on a nice long trip to the States this Saturday. Perfect timing, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment