Wednesday, July 16, 2014

You Can't Avoid the Politics

Ahh, politics! What would we complain about if not for them? Besides the weather, I mean.
I go away for one weekend and my running group goes into a huge upheaval. There are whispers and speculations and uncertainties. I know you're thinking it is all because I - huge running advocate that I am - betrayed my sport to run my first triathlon instead, but that was surprisingly not the reason for such chaos.
I won't get into the juicy gossip on this forum, but let's just say that as of now our half marathon clinic has merged with the full marathon clinic and our former coach is no longer with us.
So along with our new coach, we had an awkward clinic about nutrition (which turned into a sales pitch for a specific supplement) and then split off into pace groups for the first time. 

And then the even More Unexpected happened: I volunteered to lead a pace group.
Yet not just any pace group! I volunteered to lead the 1hour 50minute pace group. I realize those of you who have seen me run may have burst out laughing at my ambition. But to be fair, in the pace group tonight was myself, my sister, and one other girl, who happens to be slower than myself. And the way the training program is set up, I'm slightly too fast for the 2hour pace group (I know, right?!) and slightly too slow for the 1.50 pace group. I spoke with my new coach and explained my dilemma over offering to pace the faster 1.50 group and she cared not a wit, telling me to go for it and do my best.

So this is me, about to go for it and do my best! With over 40 members signed up for the half marathon clinic surely there are others who will slink into my group and outrun me. But for right now, I'm enjoying the strange but awesome feeling of being one of the fastest runners in the clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment