Sunday, March 27, 2016

Teach a Dog to Run

Day 3. (Yes, I'm aware I missed blogging about Day 2!)
We're slowly progressing. Today we ran 3x 10 minutes. The first 3 minutes in were a disaster. Brizzy was so over-joyed at being out running he was leaping and biting and tugging at his leash in his exuberance. Running is not for the exuberant! At least, it's not for exuberant dogs.
But after the first three minutes he really settled in. I was glad there weren't too many other runners out in the morning, as I was constantly saying, "Good jog, Brizzy! Good jog." Sometimes followed by "No!" and "Drop it!".
I think he's starting to get the concept, and we had a nice run after those first few minutes of frustration on both sides.

I still take 3 minute breaks in between my running sets to let him sniff and do doggy things. We're progressing fairly well, and my next step may be to move to 2x 15 minutes. I admit I'm also enjoying it more and more. The only thing that is still hard on me is how cold it is. I learned to run in the heat of Brisbane, and I really miss it on these cold Calgary days. This morning my thermometer read -2C. Brrr! I know some runners who thrive on cold weather running (and wouldn't even call this 'cold'). But I prefer my balmy 15C+. Bring on summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment