Thursday, June 14, 2012

Last is Best of All

When I was a kid, we used to have "hierarchies" for the order we arrived in class.
First The Worst
Second The Best (or The Golden Weapon)
Third The Nerd
Fourth the Dwarf
[at this point, our young minds couldn't agree on proper names for the next 20 places - those kids lived with the disappointment of being nameless, and tried extra hard next time to come in that elite Top 4]
...until we got to the end. Last is Best of All.
Only, it's not, really. No matter how much that poor last kid tried to argue, it really wasn't best of all.

Fast forward 20-odd years.

Tuesday I had a fantastic run. We did rep:recovery splits of 500:500, 1000:500, and 1500:500 metres. It was fantastic! Not only did I run it super fast (for me), but in the end I felt I could've kept going. This is unusual for me, as normally by the end I just want to stagger to a stop and call it a day.
This morning was hills. And - surprise, surprise - I was last up the hills. Until a friend pointed out that I could be running faster than I actually was, and I realized my physical running speed was much faster than my mental running speed. So I think it's time I start trying to change my mental running speed. Because to be perfectly honest, Last is still not Best of All. But I guess in the end, it's better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment