Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cake Run

This morning there was a running joke (pun intended) by our resident baker. She suggested that she could get us all to run faster simply by holding out a cupcake and running in front. Honestly, she wasn't that far off the mark! Everyone knows Char makes the most amazing cupcakes... and she'll always bake a special one on your birthday.

Which is way I have been looking forward to my birthday cupcake since last year's birthday cupcake! Actually, I can't call it a cupcake so much as a four layered miniature vanilla cake. Yum! It was well worth the year-long wait. :)
Cupcake? Work of art? Hand me a fork and I'll get to the bottom of this!

But work before pleasure; a 12k run was on the menu first up. As has become usual, I started off well enough with the group. I even managed to stick with them until the turn around point (even though I drifted to the back). But at around the 7k mark I just could not keep the pace any more. I encouraged everyone to go ahead because I was fading fast.
But not everyone did. A most loyal and amazing runner (who is, I should point out, MUCH faster than I even on my good days!) chose to fall back with me. It pushed me on when I might otherwise have run. And while I can't say I particularly had a fantastic time struggling every step to fight fatigue and gasp in the hot, muggy air, having the company was great. She always ran just that little bit ahead to keep me pushing.
At times I felt encouraged and inspired to keep up.
And other times I just wanted her to leave me to my suffering. "You go ahead", I would pant out, "I don't mind, really!"
But on I went, one foot before the other. And after lots of drink breaks (also called "Laura gasping for breath" breaks) we finally reached theend. I even managed a small burst of speed at the end just to finish it off that much faster.
It is getting so hot at 5.30am and it is not even full summer yet!

Total time: 1.13.02min
Total distance: 12.32km
Total elevation: 187m
Average pace: 5.56min/km


And then this afternoon I caught up with another friend for birthday cake #2 - chocolate mud cupcakes with fudge icing. Yes, please!

Cupcakes make me happy!



While today may not have been a "cake walk", it was certainly a "cake run".

1 comment:

  1. This blog takes the cake! Made me smile as usual. Reading your blogs is like opening a gift, you don't know what is inside, but you know it will be creative. A yummy read for sure. Wendy

    ReplyDelete