Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Training Explained

Another set of 1k reps was on today's running menu. This time we were meant to start off at a slightly slower pace and pick it up 5sec faster each time. 1k recovery jog in between.
My first set time was 4.55min. The people I normally pace myself with weren't here today, but fortunately I found someone else set at my pace. The nice thing about running with other people is that there is almost always someone who is at my pace.
Lap 1: 4.58 (goal: 4.55). I was off the time in the second half of the rep and didn't realize it until too late.
Lap 2: 4.51 (goal: 4.50). Happy with this round!
Lap 3: 4.36 (goal: 4.45). I made the mistake with about 250m to go of convincing myself that I was off the pace and going to slowly. I guess I wasn't, because I finished this rep way too quickly!
Lap 4: 4.39 (goal: 4.40). Happy with this round. I was down for 5 reps so I didn't quite give it my absolute all, but I came pretty close. When it turned out that I didn't have time for the 5th rep, I wasn't disappointed.
My coach had cautioned me last weekend that I might be doing too much. Lazy creature that I am, I was eager to find ways to cut back on training - without cutting back on my improvements.
After the session we had a long chat about my training. Some of the things he said made sense (e.g.: not running a race - even a 5k race - every week), but other things cut against what I had believed (e.g.: not running at tempo speed for more than 5k) so I ended up asking lots of questions.
We chatted through my goals and my proposed running schedule and he tweaked it here and there for me to ensure I wasn't over-training. I am the sort of person who needs numbers and game plans in my running. So I was anxious to absorb as much as I could from my coach. I trust his knowledge and experience to get me where I want to go. Which is, to say, faster!
Here are the things I learned:

Speed work:

  • Speed work should be done at the distances my coach proposes, but I can choose to go faster.

Tempo running:

  • My tempo run should be 10sec slower than my 10k race pace.
  • I am mentally & physically faster than last year. This means that this year's tempo run should be last year's 10k race pace - which puts me at a tempo run of 5.20min/km.
  • I shouldn't do the tempo run for more than 5k at a 5.20 pace because I am not training for any half marathons or marathons. For the shorter race distances, 5k at tempo pace is the max I should hit. The rest of the tempo run should be slower than that pace. It doesn't have to be super slow, but I shouldn't be struggling for breath, either.
  • Tempo runs should be done every fortnight rather than every week.
  • If I'm stiff 2 days after the tempo run, I've gone too fast.

Easy runs:

  • There is no problem with me doing trail running or another easy run (e.g. Park Run with friends!) on the weekend, even if I've already done the tempo run on that week.

Races:

  • I can race a 5k once a month if I choose, but it's best not to do it more frequently than that. 
  • All 5k races should be proceeded with a 1-2k jog.
  • I should back off on training 5 days before a 5k race. So if my race is on a Sunday, skip the Thursday run. If my race is on a Saturday, ease off on the Tuesday speed work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment