Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Disappointment

After a girl’s weekend away with the friends, I was not feeling at my prime this morning. (I was at the Laura Dance Festival in the town of Laura! Seriously, everyone needs to do a road trip to a town that has their name if possible. The level of awesomeness is pretty high!) 
But despite the aftermath of said amazing road trip, I thought I could pull of a measly 3x 1k reps.
The goal time set for me was 4.43min. I was disheartened when my fellow 4.43ers were set to do 100m strides instead, as it meant I’d have to go it alone. But, only three, right! So off I went.
1st k: 4.46
2nd k: 4.50
3rd k: 4.55
Despite my best effort, I got consecutively 5sec slower per rep. When my coach saw me marking down my times, he was disappointed. It is a mixed feeling to have a coach disappointed in me! On the one side, I’m thrilled he cares enough to notice that I’ve dropped back in speed. On the other side, it’s also nice to have a coach who doesn’t set standards for the group and is happy with any effort. In terms of improvement, I’d rather have a coach who cares more and wants me to push myself harder.

But the best part of his disappointment? It made him sit up and take notice of me…not that he hasn’t noticed me running before. It’s just more that my sub-par times today gave him reason to focus on why I’m not improving. I was once again approached – in a kind way – about my running form, or lack thereof. Next week he has promised to take me back to the drawing boards. I’m thrilled! I could feel today that my form was all over the place, but I had no idea how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment