Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Laziest Option

I was faced with a couple options on my run today, both with benefits and downsides.
Option #1: run at 5.15am with the group. The bonus: I'd likely go faster & push myself harder
Option #2: run later in the day by myself. The bonus: sleep in! Plus, it meant I could run a bit later in the day when it's hotter to acclimatize myself to racing in the heat.

Celebrating a friend's birthday last night quickly eliminated Option #1, so I woke up late. As I was dragging on my running clothes, another dilemma occurred to me. Since I wasn't letting the group decide where to run, that meant I would have to decide where to run! Which left me with two more viable options.
Option #3: run around Anzac Park a couple laps to make up 5k. The bonus: it would get me back to running hills (which the race will have plenty of) and it's the closest to home option
Option #4: do a 5k time-trial along the river. The bonus: see my improvement since Monday!

Laziness prevailed, so around Anzac Park I went. I knew I wasn't pushing myself when I caught myself reflecting on life rather than focusing on controlling my breathing to control my heart rate and check my watch to see my speed/time/distance while keeping good posture and placing my feet just so and checking my watch again to see when I can stop running and...you get the idea.
All up, I did 5k in around 30min. Considering it was all hills and I wasn't pushing myself, I call this a success! And I even had energy to spare at the end. I know, I know. Naughty me kicking back when I'm so close to the race. But...well, my mind was in such a tizzy over life stuff that I really did need the space to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment