Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Eve Jaunt

It's been a while since my last run. A LONG while, if you don't count the two stress tests I participated in. (Nothing wrong with my heart - I was helping out with a study).
I have been a bit stir-crazy here in Calgary, but the snow & ice on the sidewalks was discouragement for me to run outdoors.

 Run outside? In this? No, thanks!
 
So today on Christmas Eve I decided that enough was enough. I convinced my Dad & sister - who didn't take much convincing at all - that we should go to the gym together.
So off we went. My Dad did his own thing on the hamster wheel while my sis & I ran around in circles together on a track. In truth, I don't think it was much improvement over the hamster wheel.
I didn't have much of a plan, I just knew I was too unfit to run continuously and thought intervals sounded like a nice lazy option*.
The intervals were as uncreative & lazy as they could get: 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 1k then pyramiding back down to 200m. My recovery was a solid 200m for every rep.
At the 1k I decided a time trial was in order. Yikes! While I could have gone faster if I had really pushed myself, I will still take the number as a baseline stat.
5.23min. Eek! My first 400m were doing well, but I faded rather quickly.

On the bright side, lots of room for improvement! I didn't finish the whole set - hallelujah! My family had finished their work-outs so I quickly used that as the excuse to finish mine.

I realized how much I'm used to running outdoors when I came very close to spitting over the side of the railing after my 1k time trial. I don't think anyone on the lower level would have appreciated having a wad of spit raining down on them, so it was fortunate I restrained myself. Eesh, all this new etiquette to learn when running indoors: stay in your lane, run in the correct direction, don't spit over the railing. It may very well be a long winter indeed.



*I will also use the excuse of my low red blood cell count having gone from sea level to a much higher elevation, which would have had an impact on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment