Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Tri-ing a New Challenge

I set myself the lofty goal to train for a full triathlon this year. I would have liked to change the word “triathlon” to “marathon” but given the lack of running groups up here and my lack of motivation to train solo, triathlon seems more likely. I say “train” not “race” because I have no idea if the race is a realistic goal. I have picked a race out to work towards: Chinook Race. It’s in Calgary on June 17th. So I can put that in my calendar and decide if it’s feasible. And as for the marathon, who knows…Maybe I’ll find a poor sucker friend who is willing to run 30k+ with me on the long run days and actually do a marathon this year. Hahahaha!

Day 1: I went back to spin class.
If there is one thing that worries me about the triathlon it’s the bike portion. And the swim portion. Okay, that’s 2/3 of the triathlon sport, but at least I’m confident I can run 10k!
The bike portion is 40k. I figure that will take me two hours to complete at most if I’m conditioned. And if it’s not hilly or bad weather conditions. But what better way to get started on the bike then in spin class! It’s much harder to fall off a spin bike than an actual bike*.
I lasted a grand total of 50 minutes before I threw in the towel and called it a night. My back hurt, my butt hurt, and for whatever reason my right knee hurt. I did a lot of stretches and hobbled home. Not defeated…just taking my time and easing into the training. T-165 days to go.


*Harder, but not impossible. Yes, I have fallen off a spin bike before! And not a graceful fall. I’m talking “lurching-forward-over-the-handlebars-and-knocking-my-water-bottle-into-the-instructor-while-sitting-at-the-front-of-the-class” falling off. I now prefer to sit at the back and away from other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment