Monday, November 20, 2017

The Winter Experiment: Part 2

After last week's mild medical drama, I felt considerable trepidation about running in winter once again!

The weather: -4C, overcast, minimal/no wind
The layers: 2 on the bottom, 4 on the top (of which I used the thicker variety, not the thinner variety I tried last week), a fleecy buff, and gloves.
Missing gear: none

The group was doing 9k, but I had a previous engagement so could only do about 5-6k. I ran out with the group...it was a BIG group of runners! Around 20 of us, although I didn't count. We ran through the ravine. I was nervous how my summer running shoes would hold up on a trail run, but they did great. Minor slipping when I pushed off the ground, but nothing I couldn't control. I was feeling fit and fast and - maybe not warm - but comfortable...a great way to feel! I ran with the group until the second walk break, or about 2.8k, then turned around on my own and ran back to the store.

It does concern me, slightly, that I layered up to such an extent I was confident I would be shedding layers before the end, but in the end I remained comfortable in what I had on. This concerns me since it was a relatively warm [-3C] winter day. What on earth will I do when it gets to -20C? "Stay at home" seems to be the obvious answer...



No comments:

Post a Comment