Monday, October 24, 2011

Birthday Race

What better way to celebrate my birthday than running a 5k race? It was a lovely morning, although a stressful start. I was the least prepared I've ever been for a race and the friend I ran with was also disorganized, so that I had to return to the house more than once to pick stuff up that was forgotten. Thankfully I lived close enough to the race that I COULD return home and we made it to the start line in time! Next time, I think I'll insist on packing everything the night before! The race was nice. The goal of the organizers was to get 80 people, and they got more than that. The course was flat and the weather was nice - hot, but nice.
It was weird running a 5k race. I have "run" one once before in my life when a friend dropped out last minute and gave me her entry form. The race was so packed I had to walk the first 2k and so didn't bother to actually time it. Otherwise, my shortest distance is an 8k. I ran that in about 5.15 pace so I suppose technically I could have run this faster - 5.00, maybe? Less? But I wasn't so keen to hit a PB and didn't care to try. When I run the 500k relay I will look at it as a race. A birthday fun run? Not so much.
Total time: 28.15min
Average speed: 5.44
Elevation gain: 12m

No comments:

Post a Comment