Tuesday, February 14, 2012

GFRS Training Camp: Sunday

Run #4: Long Run
Once again, we looped around Noosa National Park. At least we got a sleep in this time - 5am start instead of 4.30am start. Yay!
The run was as gorgeous as Saturday - and no nudists today! It was suggested we do a nudist dash across the beach, but thankfully no one took it seriously.
Total distance: 11.71
Total time: 1.25.12 (no autopause today!)
Total elevation: 215m
Avg pace: 7.16
Avg pace minus stairs & uber rocky/slipper trails: ~6.20

I almost went the long route today. I was feeling good at the 7k mark where we split into long/short. But I didn't want to overdo it, so I reluctantly took the shorter way. I managed, however, to get split up from the group and slightly lost, resulting in my running an extra 500m. I should have just kept going an extra 300m to make it an even 12k, but I didn't think of that until later. Happiness was taking off my shoes and swimming in the ocean after! Double happiness was knowing this was the last run of the weekend. Aaaaaah.
This particular group run was tons of fun. We stopped about 4x to regather as a group. Stop 1: group photo-op at Hell's Gate! Stop 2: water stop. Stop 3: just chilling. Stop 4: some of the organizers not running brought us fruit, which we gobbled up. What a delightful mid-run treat! I felt like a champion racer with all the catering.
I also ran up every hill (except ones where terrain dictated a walking pace). I'm starting to like trail runs. I like how they make you work even harder for every step. I may have to do more trail running!
At one stage I found myself near Steve Moneghetti. So I decided to hit him up on some running advice. Why not? And let me say, when a World Class Athlete gives you personal tips, you listen!

There were great things and disappointing things with the weekend. But overall, I had two main reasons for attending the training camp:
1. motivate me to kick-start my year (check!)
2. Define my running goals for the year (check!)
Fait accompli!

No comments:

Post a Comment