Sunday, August 26, 2012

Moderation

Everyone has heard that famous saying, "the key to life is moderation". I think it's a favourite among dieters - no food is 'bad' food, you just might have too much of the 'not as good for you' food.
I remember the good old days of running, where I didn't treat my legs to an ice massage after a run...where the burning sensation of blisters forming was something that happened to other people. When I didn't have to psyche myself up the night before a 3-hour run...when I would finish a run and feel energized for the day, rather than stiff and lethargic.
Today I ran 13k on the Mt Coot-tha trails with some awesome fellow runners and a couple of energetic dogs to spice things up. 42k in two days! That's a marathon! Kudos to people who manage it in just ONE day.  I took today as a "this is what my legs will feel like after running 15k of trails, and now I have to push myself through the second half of the race" type training day.
The first 3k was painful as my muscles protested too much too soon. Fortunately, after that first 20-odd minutes they started to relax and - don't ask me why - but I felt soooo much better. I felt as if I could keep running, and running some more! Fortunately I was with sensible runners who cautioned me against doing too much after yesterday's hard run.
Today we wound our way up and down trails that were more technical and less steep...except the super steep Kokoda Track near the end.
Yep, for the first time, I hit a part of the infamous Kokoda trail! People had kept telling me how steep it was, but I never really thought about it. Certainly, I found I was much happier going up than down. It was so steep that I struggled to keep my footing as I went up it, sliding on the gravel. I did the same thing I do every time I hit a super steep section; run/walk, but never stop (except when the gravel slid out from under me and I lost my balance).

Total time: 1.57.20
Total distance: 13.04km
Total elevation: 464m
Average pace: 9.00min/km

So why do it? If it chews into my day, gives me little niggling pains and causes me to have constant stiff joints and sore muscles, what's the point? Because when I reached the top of the Kokoda Track I realized two things.

1) I will be able to do the Whitsunday Trail Race. I may not be able to do it fast, or well, but I will be able to finish it.
2) I am the most fit I have ever been in my life (to date). At no other time would I have been capable of doing what I did this weekend.

It's a wonderful feeling. And I guess that's why athletes put up with crazy training schedules and aches and pains that the rest of the world thinks is crazy. Because after all the struggles, you realize that some goals are worth reaching for - even if it means a little pain, sweat, and tears on the way. Because there are some goals in life that can never be achieved with moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment