Monday, September 17, 2012

What a Great Life


It is good to be reminded of why I love running. Sometimes I get so focussed on the goal…the next race...the personal best… that I forget why it is fun. I know what some of you are thinking! Running + fun = inconceivable!
But on Saturday, I had a “taper” run. Read: short! No need to psyche myself up the night before, no need to start at 4.30am or 5am and run a few km’s before the main group arrives. No need to be on the pavement for over 2 hours and finish feeling utterly spent and sore.
And so, because I was fresh and set when I started out with the main group, and because I knew I didn’t have far to go, I decided to chill out and thoroughly enjoy myself.
The weather was beautiful, the route was one I hadn’t done in years and felt new and exciting, and – best of all – I was surrounded by awesome people to talk to.
It’s funny how it works in running. You set off at a pace and find yourself beside someone so you start chatting to them. In a larger running group, it might be beside an old friend or someone you’ve never met before. Then something shifts – a water stop, a hill, or an obstacle. And suddenly you're beside someone different, so you have a chance to start a new conversation or pick up that conversation you left off with the person last week (“so how did that exam of yours go, by the way?”).
It is quality time of getting to know other people. Conversation is easy as there is always something to talk about – even if it is just running! And there are no awkward silences, as you are still occupied with running and breathing so there is not always a need to talk as there might be if you were, say, sitting down with someone for a coffee.
And because I was so busy yesterday talking to so many people, before I knew it I was back to the start. No pain, no blisters, no sense of exhaustion. I felt fresh and energized for the day. So, of course, time to sit down with my fellow runners and enjoy a cup of tea in the sunshine. In a run so short, I’m back early enough that the morning has barely started. It’s a great life to be a runner.

Total time: 1.03.44min
Total distance: 10.61km
Total elevation: 119m
Average pace: 6.00min/km

1 comment:

  1. You've written down exactly the reasons that I love to run with the group. It's often the highlight of my week.

    You're going to go great in your race. You've been training so well. Not long to go now.

    ReplyDelete