Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Gifts for a Runner

After days of being cooped up inside due to rain (my choice) I was starting to feel a little claustrophobic. It was with great joy this morning that I saw a glowing yellow orb in the sky. I took it as a sign to lace up my running shoes.
So after a bit of yoga (I'm taking advantage of some free classes) I hit the trails. The day was a bit hot but the terrain was different.
Because I'd missed out on yesterday's sprints, I decided to follow the plan today instead.
Plan: 1k warm up, then 4x 1k reps at my 10k race pace (5.15min/km) with a 1k recovery in between.
I was thinking I might do 5 reps instead of 4 but quickly shrugged that idea off as too ambitious after the heat warned me to smarten up.
I ran with my fancy GPS watch, but seeing numbers tick by is not nearly as easy to judge timing as it is when you can physically see the end marker. But I did the best I could.
The terrain turned out to be not quite as interesting as I'd hoped, and I ended up doing a figure-8 rather than a single loop. This was too avoid the building peak hour traffic so I wouldn't be forced to stop during my reps.

Rep 1: 5.17
Rep 2: 5.16
Rep 3: 5.14
Rep 4: 5.20

...an unexpected hill hiding behind the last corner of my final rep was what kicked my time up by a few notches. I wanted a strong finish and felt this was a bit unfortunate, but was not anxious enough to throw in another rep!
 My recoveries kept me at a slower jog between 6-7min/km. I didn't want to slow it right back to a walk (the reps were not hard enough to warrant this) but a change in pace was a must.
When I returned home, I was able to open this very apt gift (fridge magnet) from my Dad & favourite sister:


What more could a runner ask for?

1 comment:

  1. What a useful info! I am looking for the gifts for male runners that should be unique as well as useful.

    ReplyDelete