Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Timekeepers

At our 500m reps this morning in sprints, I was given the goal of running them in 2.15-2.20min. At first I thought, "yeah, I can do that". Then I realized that 2.15 x 2 = 4.30. 4.30min/km! Granted it is only half the distance of a km, but my absolute best in a 1k rep was 4.34 last year - when I was at the peak of my fitness. I would have to perform nearly at my best for 5 reps. And then top it off with a 1k time trial at the end. Yikes!!
I lined up with great trepidation. Discovering a dead battery in my watch this morning, I was without my favourite way of measuring my pace. Instead, I decided to run my hardest (ending with enough energy to repeat the process) and see where the person before me came. I would then "count the seconds" behind. Not exact, but a decent guestimate. 
In a way, this was a good thing. I timed myself with people just a little bit faster than I wanted to run. As it turned out, they were running at my goal pace! Once they realized my aim to run with them, they kindly ensured we started the reps together. There was a 500m recovery in between but - in keeping up with my timekeepers - I jogged a lot more quickly through the recovery than I would have otherwise done.
The hardest part of the rep was in the last 100-200m, where an insignificant hill took on great significance as I struggled to keep pace running up it.

Rep 1: 2.21
Rep 2: 2.17
Rep 3: 2.14
Rep 4: 2.14
Rep 5: 2.15

I was really happy my 500m were all very close within range, especially with me not being able to judge the time as I went. It was definitely a tough pace for me. I don't think my mouth could have been any wider as I sucked in air with desperation. Of minor concern was the way my exerting heart pounded painfully in my chest towards the end part of the last three reps. I've never experience angina, but I wonder if it would feel something like that!
When it came to the 1k time trial, I had nothing left to give. But I lined up with my faithful timekeepers and did my best to keep up. That significant little hill 300m into the rep dropped my pace back from the group, and I never recovered. I had my fingers crossed for a sub-5min, but I couldn't even pretend to keep time as nobody was near enough for me to take my time off them.
Fortunately, our coach was yelling out times as we finished.

1k time trial: 4.54 min. 

Phew! I just squeaked under that 5min goal. I think if my timekeepers had been just that little bit slower, I would have been more able to keep up with them and consequently push myself faster. But I'll take what I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment