Tuesday, March 12, 2013

500m Love & A Little Math

I have fallen a bit behind in writing with the excitement of "non-running activities" in my life. So let me catch you up on last Tuesday's speed session...
I had been skipping out on the previous speed sessions because it was raining (or threatening to rain, or raining the night before) and I'm sure it can't be a surprise to anyone reading this that I'm not a fan of running in the rain. So this was my first session back and what a great session to come back to!
Reps: 500m
Recovery: 500m
I love 500m. I love any reps 1k or less, but the less the better! Less than 1k means I can pour my heart into my running without worrying too much about dying off in the end. Sure, the later reps are likely to kill me, but I try not to think about later reps and instead just focus on this rep.
There was a bit of a hiccup with the goal time set for me which put me at 2.57min/500m. For those who have difficulty working out what this means, multiply that time by 2 for a 1k-pace. Or for those who are glaring at your computer screen in frustration because you hate doing math and since this is a running blog and not a math class why am I setting such high expectations, the answer is 5.54min/km pace.
I'm happy to say that I can go faster than that! The nice part about this hiccup is it gave me free reign to set my own target for the 500m reps.
I ran the reps in the time as follows: 2.18 / 2.14 / 2.18 / 2.14 / 2.17 / 2.16
Surprisingly, I had energy to spare at the end and could have gone on for at least another rep. But I'm very satisfied that all of those times were fairly consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment