Saturday, March 23, 2013

Proving Myself Wrong

I love 1k reps. I love shorter reps, too. But the nice thing about 1k reps is knowing this is how fast I run in 1k. Because essentially, all of my distance calculations are based on how fast I run in 1k.
I know if I want to run a sub-60min 10k race I have to run faster than 6min/km.
I know if I want to run a sub-2hr half marathon I have to run faster than 5.40min/km.
And I know if I want to run a sub-25 5k race I have to run faster than 5min/km.
With a 5k race coming up this weekend - my first "race" race of the year, so to speak - I was eager to see how these 1k split times would go.
My coach had me down for 4.45min/km. Now, keep in mind I was just starting to break sub-4.50min/km late last year, with a pb time of approximately 4.34.
Since my off season that time has understandably crept upwards.
This week, I was determined not to make the mistake of last week in becoming distracted on my final rep and slowing down. No, this week I would push through to the very last metre of the very last rep!
I decided to start with the fast group and hang on by my nails to their pace. I never actually finished with them, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Rep 1: 4.36
Rep 2: 4.31
Rep 3: 4.34
Rep 4: 4.38

Woohoo! An official pb of a 4.31 pace! Some might also notice all my times were under the 4.45min pace my coach had set for me. I can't say it was a "comfortable" margin or that I was "easy" under my goal time, as there was nothing comfortable or easy about pushing myself that hard. But there was certainly some time to spare at the end. Sure my final rep was slower but not significantly so.

For once, I proved to be a faster runner in reality than I am in my mind. I guess it shows that what matters most is not always how you see yourself...sometimes it's about proving yourself wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment