Sunday, September 15, 2013

Free Club Breakfast

They had me at "free club breakfast". After I heard those 3 magic words, I didn't need to hear anything else. But it worked out really well. A 10k run was in my schedule for today, and I found out that many of my fellow club members were running a 10k at the Brisbane Road Runners event. The free club breakfast was to be after the event to celebrate three 50th birthdays.
The gal I run with on Thursday mornings started the 10k with me, but her goal time and mine were a bit different, and in the first couple of k's she had pulled ahead.
My goal time: around 60min. I wanted to take it slow and easy.
I ended up running with a family - husband, wife, and bub (in a stroller). As it turned out, the hubby had been on my relay team last year, so we caught up over old times and chatted about our excitement for this year's team.
The course was two flat laps along the river. The other side of the river than when I normally run. How refreshing to run on the cool flat of a less familiar course! And I was really happy when the wife in our little group pulled out a massive 8-min pb to cross the finish line with us in about 60.12min.
I admired her spirit. Had it been me, I would have been a bit grumbly about just missing that magical sub-60min time. But she was more than happy with her achievements and didn't feel the need to prove anything.
After the race I snagged some fruit courtesy of the course organizers (it felt just like a real race!) before heading over to our free club breakfast. I sadly missed out on the awesome ice cream cake as I had to leave for work. What a shame! But the rest of breaky was fab, and I got the chance to catch up with many of my fellow runners I haven't seen in a while.
The running community in Brisbane still amazes me. I am truly blessed to count myself among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment