Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Reunions

On my program was 2x1600m. We had a substitute coach today (ours had the audacity to go on holidays!) who kindly measured out the course for me.
I probably could have fit in a third rep, but dang, 1600m reps are hard!
And I was on my own too, with everyone else in my group doing 200m reps. Don't get jealous too quickly - they had to finish with a 3k time trial. Heh heh heh.
The best part of my run was when a friend caught my attention from another group. Sarah is one of the big reasons I run today. Back when I was just starting to run, Sarah worked at the gym where I suffered on the hamster wheel a couple times a week. As I graduated myself to outdoor runs, we started running in to one another on our runs around uni. And naturally, we then started making plans to run together.
Sarah convinced me to sign up for my very first race - the 8k Mother's Day Run. I mostly did it for the promise of a post-race brunch (now a tradition!). My goal was to not walk in the race and I finished in a respectable 42min something.

 FLASHBACK: MOTHER'S DAY 2009 
Me (in purple), Sarah (in white), and a couple of Sarah's friends all looking forward to our post-race breakfast. We only had to get through the race, first.

 FLASHBACK: MOTHER'S DAY 2009 
The first and only race I've run in long pants. I think it was the Canadian in me. I also learned about the pitfalls of running with sunglasses (though it would take me a few more races before I would replace the sunnies for a sunhat).

When Sarah moved to Broome a while back, it was sad to say goodbye. But lo and behold, the prodigal runner had returned! Now into triathlons, it was a delight to see her this morning training in the same place.
We started to catch up but - as my coach reminded me - recovery doesn't mean I can stop to talk! So off Sarah & I continued on our respective training runs.
The goal time on my program was 6.45min/1600m. I think that was either overly optimistic or a mathematical error on the side of my coach. Especially considering I'd been told to run about 5min/km. I mentally readjusted my new goal to 8min.
Rep 1: 7.53min.
Rep 2: 7.59min.

I finished as the rest of my group was starting their 3k time trial. I opted out of that bit of fun so I could get to work.
And you know what? 1600m reps aren't as bad as I thought...especially when there are only two of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment