Friday, January 31, 2014

Inner Lazy & Too Many Cookies

I'm sad to admit that on Tuesday my Inner Lazy won the battle.
I was sitting at home with my parents after having eaten a ridiculous amount of junk food over the weekend. My stomach was bloated out in front of me and I had the fatigue that comes from eating lots of high-fat food (maybe that's why "fatigue" is full of "fat"?...)
I looked at the clock in dread as it ticked on. My coach wasn't there this week - she'd given us the workout ahead of time. I convinced myself that I was too [lazy/tired/bloated/insert word here] to possibly exercise tonight, and sank my butt deeper into the couch. I promised myself that I would do the exercise another day.
As it happened, that day was today.
And no, I didn't do the exercise. I looked at the program prescribed and decided to do something...something different.
I am surprised to say that I actually miss the 1k+ reps I used to do on Tuesday mornings. Around the track our reps are mostly ~400-600m.
And I didn't really want to do all the pool drills on the list. I wanted to see exactly what it would mean for me to swim the 750m distance that I'll be swimming in the sprint tri.
So I started on the track with 5x 1k reps, which is 5 laps around the track. I allowed myself about a 6min recovery between reps, which I walked.

Rep 1: 4.55
Rep 2: 5.08
Rep 3: 5.18
Rep 4: 5.14
Rep 5: 5.12

Geez, I was all over the place! And I'm sad I couldn't keep to my sub-5min 1k reps that I have been doing the last 1-2 years. My mind said yes, but my body reminded me of all the garbage I'd been eating and warned me to slow down before my half-digested pre-exercise cookies came back up. I can't imagine the gym people would have been thrilled to see that happen, either.

Off to the pool, where I expected it would take me about 45min to complete 750m. Seriously, that's what I thought it would take. Maybe an hour, although I hoped it wouldn't be much more than that. I wanted to get a baseline feel for how long it took me to swim that distance, so I could mark improvement leading up to the race.
I was so exhausted after the track workout I very nearly skipped the pool. But my wonderful Dad who was doing his own training at the same time sweet-talked me into it. So into the pool I jumped, telling myself that if I felt terrible I would cut the workout short.
I didn't go very fast or very hard, and I took lots of breaks at each end of the pool, including breaks to chat with my Dad and exchange grimaces of exhaustion with the guy in the next lane.

Total time for 750m: 21.30min

Hmmm. It appears I'm a much faster swimmer in reality than I am in my mind. Now if only I could say that about my running!

No comments:

Post a Comment