Friday, January 24, 2014

Odd Ducks

In a theoretical world, I always thought a triathlon was in the wrong order. Why not start with the bike, then jump in the water to cool off, and end off with a nice run?
Now I understand why they start with the swim: there is a risk of drowning when exhaustion is reached!

I decided that I had babied myself enough, and it was time to crack down and get in a proper work-out! We were doing 2 laps (~400m+) of a hard run, followed by a 1 lap walk and then 2 laps at a moderate pace.
Previously my focus had been on form. This week I decided I could still focus on form...but I didn't have to take it easy on myself!
My primary focus was on my shoulders. I'm happy to say that my coach noticed a large improvement on my shoulders from last week. And when I periodically checked in on my cadence, I was still right on target. I think I'm getting more used to the shorter stride.
I went through about 5 sets of the work-out and maintained a steady 2.00min time for each of my "hard" 400m sprints. In fact, I was bang on 2.00 every time. Well, with the exception of the first time when I was 2.05.
 Not having run lots of 400m in my life, I'm not sure if that would be a top speed for me, but it was a top speed for me on the night and I didn't fade, so it was satisfying.

Then I jumped into the pool.
Surprisingly, it wasn't a complete disaster. But I could definitely appreciate the importance of getting the swim finished with first. In the pool, we are divided into 3 lanes according to our levels: beginner, intermediate, advanced. I was rather surprised (and a little proud and a little skeptical) when I was moved into the "intermediate" lane. For whatever reason, I seem to be a natural at the odd little swimming drills we do. I guess it makes sense, since I'm good at odd little swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment