Thursday, January 16, 2014

Smaller Stride but Still Swinging

Week 2 of tri training. I'm not used to training so late at night (8-10pm). Normally I'm training from 5.30-6.30am and my body has adapted appropriately. As such, I now have insomnia the night I train, since I'm so wired from the work-out. Great. I'm hoping I can readjust soon!
Last night I continued the focus of last week: cadence. As we did our pyramid reps (30sec, 1min, 2min, 3min and back down with a 1min recovery in between), I focussed on shortening my stride, landing mid-foot, and keeping my cadence nice and short.
Towards the end of the session, Coach Mary pointed out to me that my shoulders were swinging, I wasn't leaning forward enough, and a few other problems with my form...but hey, at least I had good cadence!
In my oh-so-short days as a ski racer, I had a fantastic coach who taught me something important: break down technique and focus individually on each area before looking at it as a whole. Therefore, every week he set me a goal in training and that would be my sole focus for that week. If my focus was on my hand position, everything else (e.g.: knees, hips, head, angles, etc) was all but ignored.
I have applied this idea to my running. So while I still don't have perfect form, I am happy that my cadence and foot stride is much improved.
Next time I'll focus on my shoulders, and with any luck it won't be long before my fitness and speed have built their way back up to where I'd like it to be.

...And as for the swimming part. Yikes! On the positive side, my swimming form is not as disastrous in reality as it is in my mind (the polar opposite to my running form!). On the negative side, while I now know I can swim 50m without stopping, I still can't fathom building that distance up to 750m without stopping. And don't even get me started on what I think of bicycling 20km, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment