Friday, May 15, 2015

That Secret Feeling

There's something special about working out first thing in the morning. Sure, you bemoan your choice as soon as your alarm clock rings, but then you go out and "get 'er done". If I wait exercise until the afternoon, I am quite creative in spending the whole day developing the perfect excuse as to why I can't go. (Usually all that creativity is summed up into the 4 words: "I don't want to.")

But first thing my fuzzy brain doesn't have time to make excuses. So up I get and out I go.

I didn't have a plan when I got up. I just knew I had to run something. So I got out and after my 1k warm-up I decided to do a 5k tempo run - the one I'd meant to do last week but was sitting heavy on cookies.

I wasn't sure how I'd go, since it's been so long since my last tempo run. I was hoping for split times under 5.40, and I was hoping for consistency across all 5k.

Goals achieved! My split times were between 5.29-5.34 with the exception of my last km, which was 5.21. But that's okay! I meant it to be faster. Not "sprint" faster just "push" faster.

I tricked myself by promising 4k. Then as I neared 4k, I told myself I didn't have to go to 5k...I could do a time goal (e.g.: 25min). But when all was said and done, I made it to my 5k.

And the rest of the day I got to carry that secret feeling around. That secret feeling you get when you've worked out hard and your body is thanking you. Not to be mistaken for working out so hard that the sight of a stair ahead makes you want to cry, but the good-hard feeling when you spend the rest of your day surfing on the endorphins. Why yes, today is going to be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment