Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Overzealous

I took a friend on his first run the other day. I love taking newbies out and sharing my passion for the sport! I got a little overzealous, though. I promised 20 minutes of 1:2 ratio for minutes of running versus walking. (For the non-mathematicians, this would equate to about 7min of running total)
9 minutes into our 1:2 ratio I decided he was breathing great so cut down the ratio 1:1 (I did check to see if it was okay!).
At the 10 minute mark I should have turned us around. I really, really should have. But the day was so lovely and I was having such a great time, I couldn't help but keep going.
At 25 min I broke the news that we had passed 20 minutes already.
"Why not just go to 30 minutes?" I reasoned. "30 minutes is a nice, round number to reach!"
I did manage to stop us at 30 minutes. I promise, I really did!
So our first run plan of 20 minutes with a 1:2 ratio became 10 minutes of a 1:2 ratio + 20 minutes of a 1:1 ratio (total running time: 13min, which was almost double my original suggestion). Whoops! Next time I will need to reign in my excitement a bit more!

No comments:

Post a Comment