Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Schools of Thought: Tracking Pace/Time on a Run

Ah, the good ole Long Slow Distance. You know, LSD and hills are probably two of my favourite types of runs...but only when the LSD is such a wonderful distance of 6k!

It was a big, lively group. The kind of group I've been spoiled with in the past: boisterous, cheerful, chatty, running enthusiasts.

The pace was fast for a slow run, and it highlighted the difference of a watch.

My watch said we did 6.17km at a 6:18 pace. Our group leader's watch said we did 6.00km at a 6:52 pace. Now, we hit two long red lights at which point I stopped my watch but our group leader didn't. This sparked an enthusiastic debate over what was better to do in training.

I'm curious about other runners. Does anyone stop their watch when you have to stop for a long break (e.g.: at a traffic light) or do you keep it going?

I stop mine when I'm at a dead stop for more than a few seconds, but not for walking breaks. I do this because it helps me keep track of my pace more accurately. But someone in the group argued that at a red light you're resting and recovering, so it will affect your end result (aka, you'll have the capacity to run faster after taking your break, so stop times should be figured into your run). I absolutely agree for things like races if the course gets bogged up with people, but I disagree for training because - like I said - I like to keep track of my actual running pace, and don't care so much about overall time.

No comments:

Post a Comment