Friday, June 23, 2017

Take...10?

I think I've been running 10 years now. Well, I've been on and off running 10 years. So, "I'm Back!" (Take 10). In truly awful blogger etiquette (but true to the way I am) I've been a bit behind on these entries, so be prepared for an onslaught of running updates over the next little bit...

The last year has seen me married and moved 4 times in 3 different cities. So while I haven't really been running, I can say with confidence  I've been running around like a chicken-with-my-head-cut-off-and-my-life-packed-into-boxes. But now that the boxes are all* unpacked, official running running begins. Boy, was it hard for me to get started!

Some of the boxes from move #3...one of the easier moves!

After moving to Edmonton I had the most excellent intentions of joining a half clinic. I even went out to one of the free Sunday runs...and then realized just how many Sundays of training I'm going to be missing over summer...and how unfit I've become where a 10k was an absolute struggle...

So I joined the 10k clinic instead! My first time taking official training to focus on this distance. Woohoo! Visions of PBs dance in my head!

Well, a month before I started the clinic I started getting a niggle in the back of my right knee.
Less than two weeks before Day 1 of the clinic my right leg wouldn't straighten at all and I could no longer walk without a limp. No acute injury or anything like that. The only thing I can say is that my knee decided to stop working. I had developed runners knee before I even started running! Either my body is psychic - or psychotic - or just plain weird. Whatever the cause, I hobbled my way to physio and bim, bam, boom! Within two days I could walk normally again and guess what? I'm right into the running now with no lingering knee pain.

God Bless my healthy knees! .... and physios.

I took the first night's run - a 3k - nice and easy. I started my way at the back of the pack and as my trusty knee held steady and my confidence grew, I picked up the pace comfortably. No idea how fast I ran, but I was very satisfied nonetheless.




*except for that one box tucked into the back of the basement by the stairs. Yeah, you! You know who you are. Don't think I've forgotten you! I'll be unpacking you for sure in the next 10-20 years. Or, you know, whenever.

No comments:

Post a Comment