Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Bursitis

My sister finally convinced me to go to physio to see what the problem is with my poor left leg. I felt a bit foolish doing so. The pain in my left leg is not consistent to one spot, nor is it consistent in when in will show up in the run...if it shows up at all!
But I decided it couldn't hurt anything to go, so today I went back to the same physio who miraculously fixed my right knee; now I had him look at my left knee. I thought he would simply confirm my self-diagnosis and say "tight muscles. Just keep stretching it." Then send me on my merry way.
The actual diagnosis should come as no shock to those who read the title of this blog: bursitis of the left knee.
The cause: running with tight muscles (it always comes back to my tight muscles!)
The treatment: rest.
I've been told bursitis can take just a couple weeks to heal...for those who have only had it for a couple of weeks. Since I've had it for the past few months, the cure may likewise take longer. BUT on the plus side, I now know that all the active massaging and "digging in" to the muscle I've been doing to try and "work out the knot" is actually making it worse. Now it's all about resting and icing; icing and resting.
In the long term, I know I'll be happy to get this cured. In the short-term, I'm bummed to take a few weeks off. This is going to really slow down my momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment