Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Do What I Say, Not What I Do

Tonight we had the talk on clothing. Thankfully, I wasn't leading it! I think I was the prime example of "what not to wear" tonight.

A check-list of the winter runner's "must haves":
  • Headlamp?
    • Nope! I forgot it.
  • Reflective gear?
    • Oh, I knew I was missing something!
  • Ice grips for shoes?
    • I'll buy them eventually. Maybe.
  • Base layer
    • Yes! 
  • Fleece layer
    • Yes! Go me! On the outside, but it counts!
  • Windproof layer
    • Oh, did I need that?
  • Wool socks
    • Nope
  • NO cotton
    • Quick! Nobody look at my pants! Or socks...
  • Safety items - e.g.: cell phone, ID card, money, emergency contact details
    • I keep meaning to do this one day, but...
But never mind that. I do plan to go shopping for proper winter weather running gear (that's a tongue twister! Say it three times fast) at some point this winter. Or next fall. Or, you know, maybe never since I'm not sure if I'll ever run in winter again.

But one thing I was very proud of myself for doing: showing up, and running the 3k. Let me tell you, I did not want to be there. But a leader leads by example after all! And so if I couldn't be a model in winter weather running gear*, at least I could be a model for dragging my butt out of the nice cozy house and around a 3k loop. And the best part? The trail was sanded! So when all the non-Sunday runners were complaining at how slippery it was, I was strutting my way to the finish line.


*winter weather running gear, winter weather running gear, winter weather running gear! ... See? Tongue twister!

No comments:

Post a Comment