Monday, January 14, 2013

From Hot to Cold & Back Again

After a beautiful hiatus from running, I dragged myself back into it this morning.
The past month has been spent winter sporting in the Canadian Rockies. I re-learned how to cross-country ski (although some might argue I'd never learned it to begin with), sped down the mountain side with alpine skiing, and even did a bit of snow-shoeing. I did see some crazy committed people running outside, but the -20C weather and icy roads did not tempt me to run in the least. Unless I was running from the people I'd thrown a snowball at, but that was the exception.

This is actually a really steep hill. It may not look it, but I promise it is! It seems steeper when it is day 3 of learning to cross-country ski.

From the cold Canadian winter to the hot Australian summer. It's been a challenge to adapt!
Today I decided I'd done enough moaning about jet-lag. I strapped on my running shoes and went out for an easy walk-run with a good friend.
Neither of us were keen to make it a challenge, so we went for 4k along the river. Thankfully there was a cool breeze to support us.

My life is complicated and messy this year so I've counter-balanced that by making my running goals simple. I've always been star-struck by the longer distances in running, pushing myself to go further and further. Since I won't have the time for long distance training this year, I'm challenging myself in a different way by keeping it short and sweet.
Hence, my one simple running goal is this: to improve my 5k pb. As of now, it unofficially sits at 27.40min - unofficially because of the very few 5k races I've participated in, none of them were taken seriously.

2 comments:

  1. You must be feeling this heat! You did manage to time your arrival to the only heat wave we've had all summer so far. That was great timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Char, I had *great* timing this year! I left Brisbane in 34C weather and returned to Calgary during a cold spell of -20C. Brrr!
    I'm grateful the heat wave has finally broken.

    ReplyDelete