Monday, April 13, 2015

Marathon of Hope

There is one runner who - in my opinion - stands in a class of their own. I'm talking of course, about Canadian icon Terry Fox.

Terry Fox is a man who left a legacy that inspires us all. So when I found out that today was the Marathon of Hope, I jumped on board and signed up. It's not an organized race, or even a marathon. It's just a bunch of people committing to run a certain distance in memory of this great man and what he stood for.

There were officially 1k, 5k, or 10k distances. But you could also commit to running any distance you wanted.

I opted for 10k. The day was sunny (but eesh, what a cold northern wind!) and the group smiling. I went out with the 10k group who were only running 8k, so I planned to add an extra couple of k's on at the end. Fortunately for me, one of the other gals was in the same mindset, so off we went. The last few km's went quickly. Tough, but quickly since I was trying to keep up with my running buddy.

Two days of running in a row...hooray! I'm starting to find my feet again. And the running shoes feel great.

And throughout the entire run today, tickling at the back of my mind were thoughts of Terry Fox. He may not have won any races, but he won over a nation.

I admire the speedy runners and envy them (gaa! How can I get faster???). But my favourite thing about my fellow runners? Their strength of character. Every one has a story. But few are quite so well known as that of Terry Fox.

1 comment:

  1. a powerful and inspiring blog, brought tears to my eyes. Mum

    ReplyDelete