Saturday, July 8, 2017

Clocking Up


I somehow clocked up the mileage when out for a run the other day.
 
The initial goal: 4k tempo.
 
But then the group decided to do a route I didn’t know. And the really fast girl who normally leads me was away. So I decided to run with the group and learn the trails tonight. There were 5 of us, and we took the pace nice and easy – around 6.30-6.45. The route ended up being 5k, and at the end I decided that – since I’d skipped my 7k long run on Saturday and since the pace was a “LSD” pace anyways – it made sense for me to just make up the long run.
 
So after I bid my adieu to the group at the 5k end point, onward I went for another km before turning back around. I’ve technically missed 3 runs since being in Florida. Now that I’ve made up the long run, I have a 5k, 4k,and 4k tempo to complete. I’ve decided to complete the 5k tempo and not worry too much about the 4k tempos at this time (I may or may not clock up those distances another week).
 
The best part of the run wasn’t the gentle breeze or shade that made the hot day into an ideal temperature for me. It wasn’t even chatting with the group and enjoying the social part. No, the BEST part was running along the river and stopping to admire a beaver hard at work as he struggled to drag a branch downstream. The angle of the branch forced his head above water and he eyed us nervously as he went past; cautious, but not so scared as to drop his hard-earned branch completely to duck under water. One of those rare times I wish I ran with my phone so I could have taken a picture. I guess it’s a trade-off for me in choosing a running group in Edmonton; large numbers, beautiful scenery, or quick drive to get there. It appears I can only have 2/3 options. Runner problems...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment