Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Slow by Feel; Fast by Numbers

I ran a 10.4k long slow run with the group. I took every walk break, and I kept my pace comfortable. The group was small and I started off in the back of the pack, feeling pretty good and enjoying the conversation. But after the first walk break (when the group reconnects), I found myself with the faster group. I wasn't too worried; I would drop back if/when the pace became uncomfortable.
I never dropped back.
By the end I was surprised to look at my watch and see my pace was sub-6 minutes...varying between 5:30-5:50. I know a lot of runners are going to shake their heads at me and say,"but Laura, that's not a long SLOW run! That's a long, FAST run for you!"
However, I will respond to my unvoiced critics that I was talking in complete sentences the entire way as I carried on a conversation. And I never felt short of breath...okay, that's a lie. I felt short of breath when I went up some of the short, spicy hills that peppered our route, but I recovered quickly.
This year has been a long road back to fitness for me, which I suppose makes sense since I'd taken about 18 months off running before restarting in May. But it's so exciting that I'm seeing consistent improvement from my frustrating, injury-riddled runs over the summer.
Now it's going to be about keeping up my motivation throughout the cold, dark of winter...

No comments:

Post a Comment