Thursday, May 24, 2018

Climb Every Mountain


Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature

I managed to complete my 16k long run! All by myself, too.
But the really challenging part was keeping the heart rate stable. Why? Because I was running while on vacation in the mountains! Yep, my husband and I spent our long weekend up at Panorama (a ski resort) in the Rockies to get in some quality hiking. So when it came time to my run, everything was on a hill. And a fairly steep hill at that! This gave me two options for my run: 1) run R-E-A-L-L-Y slowly on the uphill or 2) walk.
The distance from one end of the ski hill to the other (while avoiding the steepest of hills) was about 3.5km, meaning at least half of my run would be a ‘walk’ if I chose to walk up the hills. So I ran. V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y. Ugh! It was embarrassing how slow I had to run up those hills to keep my heart rate down! But on the plus side, I got to pick up my pace when going back down the hill. Not too fast, though, as sprinting downhill is a great way to wreck the knees, and my knees are not in top form these days. To give you an idea of how hilly it was: my km averages varied from 7.33 per km to 12.33 per km!

Total time: 2.29.51
Total distance: 16.05km
Average pace: 9.22min/km
Average HR: 133 bpm (69%)

No comments:

Post a Comment