Thursday, July 19, 2018

Speed Work

We're into the final slog of the marathon training: speed work. Where maybe (hopefully?) it will help me get a bit faster!

Tuesday was at the track, where the focus was on speed drills and 3x200m sprints.

Tonight was a 10k 'fartlek'. We set out as a group at a decent pace, but as the faster people got to the front of the pack the pace ticked up and up and up. Admittedly, I was a little happier to have this challenge. After so many weeks of trying to hold myself back for heart rate training, it was nice to sort of "let loose". Finishing the last 3k of the 10k at a 5.30 pace made me feel a bit better about life.

A big thank you to everyone for reaching out to me in encouragement!!! This is HARD. Much harder than I had thought it was going to be. And setting out with what I thought was a reasonable and realistic time goal only to have to recalculate it to be much slower has been rather demoralizing. Still, one foot in front of the other until I cross that finish line! And then I can either buck up and say, "now I've learned something so I can improve for next time" or shake my head and say, "never again".

No comments:

Post a Comment