Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Anzac Day Special


Today was a public holiday, so things were a little...different. When I say ‘different’, I mean a 2 hour session of hills and stairs finished off with a water run.
The session took us around our normal Friday morning loop of the river. This loop remains – in my opinion – the most beautiful run in Brisbane. But we didn’t just run the loop. Instead, we did a bit of an intense detour. The session went something like this:

15min hill reps
10min stair reps (up Kangaroo Point cliffs, for anyone who can envision it)
1k interval rep
1 set stairs up to the Story Bridge then a 1k interval rep across the bridge
Medina Hill reps for ~15-20min
Quick jog (~6min pace) for 2km
Then water running for about 20min!

This last one was fun. We took off our shoes and jumped waist deep into the water at South Bank. The water was refreshing and not cold from a Canadian perspective. But oh, wow, could I ever feel all my muscles struggling! Trying to run while waist deep in water is tough, tough, tough.
I did keep track of everything (minus the water run), but keep in mind that my autopause on the watch occasionally kicked in on some really steep stairs as I wasn’t running enough horizontal metres to keep the satellites happy that I was moving. So the overall distance, time, elevation, etc are slightly under-exaggerated.

Distance: 10.64km
Time: 1.19.45
Avg pace: 7.30min/km
Elevation: 225m

I think one of the most exciting things about this run is that I can finally see Gold Coast race within my grasp, while a month ago I was so out of fitness the thought gave me shivers of dread.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine running in the cool water. My first thought would be: oh no, now I am all soggy for the trip home... my next thought would hopefully be, enjoy the journey and relish the coolness of the water the feeling of running in slow motion. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That about sums it up! The initial jumping in fully clothed feels a bit strange. But then it's a bit like eating chocolate in bed - a guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete