Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter "Rest"

I’m under orders to take a rest weekend along with all the squad. Right. I decided to do exactly as told.
Except...the rest would really make more sense for those who had been training the past few months rather than the past few weeks. For those (such as me) who have only just kicked back into training, taking 3 days off when I need all the help I can get seems a little counterintuitive. Of course, I wouldn’t want to go against the coaches directions, who would know more than me.
This Easter Sunday, I got up to watch the sunrise on Mt Coot-tha with some friends. It included live music in the form of a church service – cool! I decided that since I was up and out at Mt Coot-tha at that time of day, it was the perfect chance to put on my “resting” clothes. So after the sunrise and the photos, I left my friends to go for a short “rest”. Not that I ran, of course. But if I had run, I imagine my stats would have resembled the following...

Distance: 5k
Time: 36.17min
Elevation: 180m
Avg pace: 7.15min/km

My split times might have looked as follows – had I run instead of resting as I had been told to do.

Downhill: 5.53 / 5.48 / 6.03 (final 500m)
Uphill: 8.33 / 7.52 / 8.41 (final 500m)

It was such a beautiful morning for a “rest” and a beautiful time of day to be out! (The picture you see is of the sunrise at Mt Coot-tha before I went for my rest.) How could I resist the opportunity? Besides – a brekkie of hot cross buns was on the menu and I needed to work up an appetite. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment