Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Luck Runs Out

Today, in what felt like the dead of the night, we did hills in the cemetery. I wanted to stop for a rest, but it wasn’t our final destination. Chris kept us from any dead ends, even if some of his jokes would have made people roll over in their graves.
Heh heh heh.
Yes, I was happily grinding through the hills of the cemetery making up puns in my mind, when something happened that nearly scared me to death. Did I spot a ghost? Run into a gravestone? No, sadly my problem was much more grave. Quite simply put:
My luck ran out.
One minute, I was a happy-go-lucky slow runner turned witty punster. The next...BOOM!
All this time of luck sans injury, and then I roll an ankle off the edge of the trail and that’s it. My run is over. The End. A fitting place for it. So here I sit, giving my ankle some TLC and some RICE. Curses!
As always, the team rallied around the fallen runner – not to scavenge but to support. Chris recommended a fellow runner walk the 2k back with me to the cars while he finished the session. The other runner made it very clear it was his delight to walk back with me – not his obligation. Awwww.
In the end, my stats were as follows:

Total time: 32.05
Total distance: 4.79
Elevation: not recorded
Avg pace: 6.41

No comments:

Post a Comment