Saturday, May 26, 2012

24k. Yes, that's right. 24K!!! (And I don't mean diamonds)

So I have a bit to catch up on today! Thursday we did another hill session (surprise!). If there is one weakness in me, it is hills. And distance. And speed. Okay, let's just say that hills greatly diminishes my ability to do the latter two.
At hills we did 5x50m sprints followed by a 1.5k loop. And then we did it all again! The one thing I can do decently is sprint over short distances. So, the 5x50m sprints were alright... it was the 1.5k loop that really had me going. My coach gave me a massive handicap going into the loop. But that didn't stop other runners from passing me!

Distance: 6.64km
Time: 46.20min
Pace: 6.58min/km
Elevation: 138m

And today was our long run. I did no less than 24k. TWENTY-FOUR KILOMETRES!!! That is nearly 50% longer than the longest run I've run this year. Yikes! I was rather worried. You see, I was supposed to have been running 20k's the past few weeks, but that was cancelled due to my injury and other intervening factors.
So while everyone else in my group has been happily doing 20k's the past four or five weeks, I have been contending with injury and fighting to get in those shorter distances. I was fine the first 12k, despite our group going out way too fast for me (race pace, anyone?). I think I kept up until about the 14k mark and then I started to slide backwards. And once I started to slide, I seemed to gain momentum...just going the wrong way. Before I knew it my legs were aching and shaking and I was desperately wanting to finish and get it done. But I didn't stop.
I had a momentary sense of ghost pain in my knee around 18k and the weird sensation of my legs almost giving out on me at 22k. But I pulled up at exactly 24k!
Unfortunately, I had accidentally turned off my fancy watch for a km of it, so I can't offer any accurate ideas of how I actually did.
By guestimation, it took me just over 2h32min to complete the 24k, average pace ~6.23km, and average elevation >288m (hey, that's more than the hill session yesterday!).
I am fully, truly sore from that run! As Anne of Green Gables might say, deliciously sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment