Sunday, May 13, 2012

Getting to the Start Line

There are numerous things a runner has to worry about the morning of a race. "How can I balance out fluid intake with toilet accessibility?" is my main focus for the big races. But on a 4.5k fun run with friends, I found myself surprisingly more concerned about what are normally secondary factors in my races.
The first factor: do I have the correct race bib on? Yes, I very nearly walked out the door wearing the bib from good ole Noosa 10k! Fortunately, as I was pinning it on in the mirror, I was able to correct this error before I left. It would have been like showing up to the wrong party.
The second factor: How will I get to the start line? There are numerous options available:
1. Car - eliminated. The event is at South Bank and I only drive to South Bank under duress. Plus, parking would be terrible.
2. Public transport - eliminated. My flatmate opted for the bus. I might have been tempted by the ferry but I'm not a fan of the bus. And since this is the first year I was running the 4.5k rather than the 8k, I felt a little extra exercise was in order.
3. Bicycle - tempting to ride in with a friend, but this option was eliminated in favour of my master plan -
4. Run. Odd? Absolutely! Rationalized? Always!

So, run it was! I got more than a few strange looks running 4.3km to the start line while wearing my race bib, but all in all it was a pleasant jog into South Bank.
Unfortunately, by the 2nd km my knee started to hurt. Fellow runners will understand how depressing that is! And so, while originally planning to run home at the end, I had taken along a quiet lifesaver in the form of my bus pass. And with a long forlorn look at the beautiful sunny road stretching out before me, I opted for the bus.
Let my knee live to fight another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment