Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Truth vs Pride

Today we had to decide between honesty and wishful thinking. Truth vs pride! After a brief warm-up, we were asked to stand in a group de-marking our fastest 1k time. Oooh! Nervous chatter followed as our coach began marking off groups, starting with 3.15 pace. There were those that didn't know and those who pretended not to know.
As the time moved up in 15 second increments, the moment of truth had arrived...or would it be the moment of pride? I can tell you are all waiting in agonizing suspense to find out which side of me won.
In the end...neither won. It was the moment of peer pressure! As the time increments moved up, I heard 5.00 pace called and I started to sidle over. But nobody else was moving. Hmm. Could I be mistaken? I could swear some of these people are faster than me and yet the only other person thinking of joining that 5.00 group is well known to be faster than us back posse members. So when the 5.15 time was called and a huge crowd converged to that area, I slunk over to join them.
Today we did a Kenyan run. This is where we run 6k total in 1k laps, starting at 75sec slower than our fastest time and moving 15sec faster each lap until we end with our fastest time. Confused yet? Here is an ideal of what I should have run:
1k: 6.30
2k: 6.15
3k: 6.00
4k: 5.45
5k: 5.30
6k: 5.15

In truth, this is the actual lap paces run vs what we should've run it in.

1k: 6.14 / 6.30
2k: 6.06 / 6.15
3k: 5.55 / 6.00
4k: 5.40 / 5.45
5k: 5.24 / 5.30
6k: we didn't get to do as training time had run out.


So it wasn't too far off. But I was disappointed because I didn't find it super challenging. I spent most of the time chatting with the others. I wish I could've gone another round to see how the 5.15 ended up. But it makes me think that next time I should start in a faster time trial!

No comments:

Post a Comment