Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Calgary "Marathon"...Where's The Finish?

I like chronology. I’m rather Type-A in that way. Give me a book series in the middle, and I usually can’t bring myself to read it until I’ve read at least the first book (exceptions to every rule, of course!).
But chronology on a blog is better for people who are more timely with their blogging! Therefore, the next few entries are going to be a little un-ordered. So for all my other Type A readers: take a deep breath! I promise there will be no unexpected plot twists or character developments that will spoil things for you.

So...Calgary Marathon. First, it’s always awkward to mention you’re in the any kind of "X Marathon" (the name of the event) when you’re not actually running the marathon.
“What are you doing this weekend?”
“I’m running in the Calgary Marathon…no, no! I’m not actually running a marathon. I’m just doing the 10k that's taking place in the event called the Calgary Marathon!”

It was an absolute gorgeous day outside – bright and sunny and warm. Reminded me a lot of my Gold Coast races back in the day. Because the race was so close, I was able to walk there, which is always a bonus. Forget race day bathroom line ups! Say goodbye to parking frustrations! I'll walk over, thanks.

Due to an unexpectedly sore hip flexor this past week, and the fact that I have been looking at this race as more a “training race” for the K-100 relay, I didn’t have any strong goals other than to finish. Okay, so my A-Goal was sub-58min and my B-Goal was sub-60min, but otherwise I wasn’t fussed. With my naggingly sore hip flexor, I thought I might end up jogging it out instead of running.

I kept it easy the first 4k, enjoying the day, the cheering spectators, and the random entertainment along the way. (The community of Bridgeland through the middle km’s of the 10k really steps up to the plate for cheering!). I felt strong with a 5.45 pace across these first few kms, so picked it up to a 5.30 pace as I continued on. I had meant to hold off on the speed increase until the 5k marker, but somehow I was so buoyant and energized I couldn't quite help myself.

This worked well for me until 8k. And then things started to hurt. While my hip flexor was holding up like a champion, my knee started to twinge. And boy, was fatigue starting to set in!

I did slow down a bit in the last 2k. That’s what comes from setting a loose A-Goal that is too easily achieved: the mind cannot push through the discomfort.

There were some great signs that kept me entertained...

Toenails are for Sissies!
May the Course Be With You!
Who Needs Nipples?


But for me, the winning sign could be found just after the 9k marker, when you're entering the edges of the Stampede grounds and you can't help but think:

WTF…Where’s The Finish?

There were a lot more that I wish I could remember. There are some very creative support crowds out there! And speaking of support, where would I be without my lovely support crew? Russell and Brizzy both came along.

All fresh and ready to start!


 Regardless, I finished with a very happy time of 56.31. Surprisingly, that actually put me in the top 20% of female finishers. Go me!

Brizzy was very happy with my results, too. (Actually, he was probably more excited to play outside with Russell while they waited for me to finish).

No comments:

Post a Comment