Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Intervals There, Intervals Here, Intervals Coming Out My Ear

I was very excited to go on a Brizzy-free run on the weekend. Russell promised to walk the dog so I could get a nice distance run in. Okay...distance for me would likely be around 45 minutes at this stage. But the point was, it would be a run without a puppy tugging on the leash or stopping to poop or stopping to smell a bush or just plain stopping because he didn't want to run any more. This run would be all about me.
Until Russell got sick. Then I was left with two choices: run with the dog, or skip the run altogether and just walk the dog.

So I snapped on Brizzy's leash and off we went. I went to one of the nearby parks. It has a little trail that goes around a pond. I estimate the trail loop to be around 600m. Not sooo far, but a decent enough place for intervals.
I admit, I'm a little sick of intervals! They're the easiest type of run to do with a little minion learning to run, but it feels like that's all I do lately.

Nevertheless, off I went. The goal: 5 laps, with 1 lap walking between each for recovery.
Lap 1 - 2:52. Okay, I told myself. Keep all laps UNDER 3:00min.
Lap 2 - 2:49
Lap 3 - 2:48
Lap 4 - 2:48
Lap 5 - 2:47

Woohoo! Sooo happy I pulled it off. I convinced my brain that if I did my last lap in over 2:50 I would have to do a sixth lap. Then the entire way around that last loop I repeated the mantra, "quick arms, quick legs! Quick arms, quick legs!" I put the focus on moving my arms rather than my legs, and it worked beautifully. No Lap 6 for me this time!

Brizzy had had it after Lap 3, and kept nosing me to go home. I'd had it after Lap 3 as well, but I couldn't renege on my promise! Okay, there are plenty of times when I renege on my running promises, but not this time! I jogged home feeling exhausted and triumphant. Brizzy laid down and didn't move the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment