Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Tale of a Long Run

It was the best of runs, it was the worst of runs.

The best: 21.7k in 1.59.23!!! That's not only the farthest I've ever, ever gone, it's also the fastest I've ever run! I have never before broken the 2-hour time barrier. Of course, I didn't count our group rest stops...but I never have before either, and still never made a sub-2hr time. Booyah!!!

The worst: It was going well until the 15k mark. Then my knee started to hurt. A LOT. I stopped to stretch it out a few times, but that didn't help. The pain radiated up to my hip and down through my shin. Consensus was it was my ITB band grumbling at me. Post-run I gave it the love and attention it deserved through oodles of stretching and icing. During the run I wasn't so kind to my unhappy leg. While I know I'm a strong advocate for not running while injured, I discovered that a) it hurt even walking and I was stranded 6k out and b) it hurt less when I ran faster and didn't think about it. So I ran faster and didn't think about it. It helped that I had an amazing running buddy to encourage me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment