Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back in the Galeforce Groove

Well, I'm back training with Galeforce again this week. A final hoorah before I leave. I went to the Wednesday night "beginner" group. I loved my Wednesday night group back in the day, but I jumped ship to suffer the Thursday morning hills group instead.
Wednesday night is...relaxing. Our coach was sick so we had a new coach instead. He was fantastic! we jogged around Roma Street Parklands as he made up our training night as we went along.
First: "stride outs" we did about 10 of these. This is where you run for ~20m at 70% of your fastest pace. It's meant to be a sort of warm-up for sprinting.
Second: 4 min hill run. Everyone went at their own pace up and down the hill. The focus was hard on the way up, recovery down. For one of these runs the coach ran right at my heels to push me faster. Awesome!
Third: we happened to stop at a drink fountain for some water that lay at the bottom of a hill with stairs. So we then did 5 min of the hills with stairs. Oof!
Fourth: sprints or "fartleks". I didn't like these so much. We did 5min of fartleks where the coach called out "go" or "recover" at random intervals. I didn't like it because I never gaged it fast enough. For example, if I had known that we were doing a 20-sec sprint I would have pushed a lot harder than I did. But not being certain if the interval was 20-sec or 1min, I didn't push all that hard.
The Wednesday night group is easy going and really is a good run for beginners. We all went at our own pace and there was no pressure if you sat out one of the drills to recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment