Monday, March 26, 2018

Come on, Spring!

I am getting really, really tired of running on ice!
After taking a week off due to illness, I returned to do a 16k.

I have to admit that, unlike last week, this 16k felt light and breezy by comparison! No slushy snow to trudge through. I noticed the difference when I only checked the distance on my watch every 4-5km instead of every 400-500m. And while I was very grateful to not have any slushy snow, I am really, really sick of the stupid ice!!! Every afternoon brings wonderfully warm weather, which melts the snow from the grass and lets it run down the sidewalks. And every night that water freezes into hard ice, which doesn't melt until the late afternoon. Not helpful when you're running at 9am!

No falls so far (knock on wood!), but I am waiting with baited breath until the paths are consistently clear and free of ice. Oh, what a joyous day that will be!

Total time: 2:06:57
Total distance: 16.6km
Average pace: 7:39min/km
Heart rate: 151 bpm (80%)

I can't believe I've managed to run through winter this year. It has been a trial, that's for sure. The things I don't often talk about is how it affects my body. Following the long runs in particular, I frequently peel off my layers of clothes to find the skin on my legs is a mess. I either suffer from frost burn or rashes from hips to knees. Sometimes it itches, sometimes it just hurts. Fortunately, a shower typically helps my hypersensitive skin calm down. But it is neither a pleasant feeling nor a pleasant sight! Have I ever mentioned that I miss running in warm weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment