Thursday, March 29, 2018

Perspective

8 hill repeats!

It's funny how perspective works. When I first headed up "hospital hill" for 5 repeats (a few weeks ago), it really didn't look that bad. I was disappointed with how gentle of a slope it was. But looking at it with the prospect of doing 8 hill repeats was a different story!

Or maybe it was because another runner explained to us the other day that hospital hill is steeper and longer than the infamous 'Heartbreak Hill' of the Boston Marathon. See? Perspective!

Recovering from a bit of a bug, I decided to take each hill individually and see how far I got (just in case my energy failed me in the end).

The first two repeats were tough. I was slow and unmotivated! But on my third repeat I felt a bit more energy and picked it up a bit more, and same with repeat #4. I made it through 8 in no time! My fellow runners (aka - cheering squad) really helped my motivation and I found I was able to push just a little bit harder, even at the end.

I then had to struggle to run to the car, as my legs felt like absolute jelly.

Unfortunately, I've been finding over the last few weeks that I get pretty bad insomnia after hill training night. I fall asleep just fine, but then wake up around 2.30am with my legs quivering with fatigue, and can't seem to get back to sleep.

I love, love, love the feeling of getting stronger! And I know I am getting stronger every week. It's a great feeling! But I'm not loving the ensuing insomnia. I wish there were something I could do to fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment